Systems and processes for natural disaster relief and recovery arrangements
This bulletin is to remind local governments of the requirement to have appropriate systems and processes in place when making a funding submission for NDRRA with the Queensland Reconstruction Authority (QRA).
On 16 April 2013, the Queensland Auditor-General, Mr Andrew Greaves, tabled his Report 10 - Local Government Audits 2011-12, in Parliament. A copy of this report can be found on the Queensland Audit Office (QAO) website.
There were a number of recommendations made in the report, which relates to the audit of local government financial statements.
The following recommendation is particularly relevant to those local governments affected by natural disasters.
Recommendation 2: Local governments affected by recent natural disasters implement the systems, processes and controls needed to:
- demonstrate their funding claims relate only to eligible costs
- identify and assess the cost-effectiveness of replacing assets to a more disaster resilient standard
- lodge their funding submission with QRA in a timely manner
- schedule and complete all approved works by the deadlines imposed under Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements.
The department fully supports this recommendation and encourages all affected councils to review the systems that are currently in place to ensure they are adequate.
- City of Brisbane Act 2010
- City of Brisbane Regulation 2012
- Local Government Act 2009
- Local Government Regulation 2012
Local governments should liaise with QRA if they require assistance. Alternatively, other enquiries can be addressed to the department on 13QGOV (13 74 68).