Tropical Council illustrative financial statements for 2013-14
The purpose of this bulletin is to inform local governments:
- that a set of Illustrative general purpose financial statements for Queensland councils (Tropical) for the year ending 30 June 2014 is available on the Department of Local Government, Community Recovery and Resilience's (the Department) website; and
- about the changes to this year's Tropical.
View the Tropical statements here ( 1.03 MB)
Also included in Tropical are the 'prescribed forms' required under the City of Brisbane Regulation 2012 and the Local Government Regulation 2012 – i.e. the Certificate given by the Mayor and Chief Executive Office of council in relation to the General Purpose Financial Statements (consolidated and non-consolidated), and the certificates in relation to the current year financial sustainability statement and long-term financial sustainability statement.
Local governments are required to prepare audited annual financial statements that comply with local government legislation and the Australian Accounting Standards.
To assist with this, the Department prepares a set of example annual financial statements each year. These statements are commonly referred to as 'Tropical', and are updated each year to reflect new and amended Australian Accounting Standards and other relevant legislative requirements.
- City of Brisbane Act 2010
- City of Brisbane Regulation 2012
- Local Government Act 2009
- Local Government Regulation 2012.
Changes to Tropical in 2013-14
The changes that have been made in Tropical for 2013-14 are identified by orange coloured shading. This feature is designed to assist councils to quickly identify those changes that are relevant to a particular local government.
Major amendments include:
- Updated disclosure regarding the application of new and amended Australian Accounting Standards (Note 1.G)
- New Note 19: Fair Value Measurement, which provides an example of the increased disclosure required by AASB 13: Fair Value Measurement. AASB 13 is a new Australian Accounting Standard that applies for the first time this financial year
- New Note 42: Controlled entities that have not been consolidated
- Updated Note 32: Superannuation.
Communication and training
A series of information sessions were held throughout Queensland in March 2014. The purpose of these sessions was to:
- assist councils to use this year's illustrative financial statements;
- provide finance officers with an understanding of changes to Australian Accounting Standard requirements;
- alert officers to relevant audit issues, including those raised in the Auditor-General's Report 14: 2013-14 to Parliament;
- provide information from the State Valuation Service relating to the valuation of assets.
Another session will be held in Longreach in May 2014.
Changes made since the release of the draft Tropical
At the information sessions in March 2014 council officers were provided with a draft copy of the illustrative financial statements for 2013-14.
The final version on the Department's website differs slightly from the draft version in the following respects:
- Note 32: Superannuation has been updated
- A small amendment has been made to Note 19 to provide a reconciliation of opening to closing balances for those assets that have a different class disclosure in Note 19 from that in Note 18 (i.e. buildings which are split into two classes for the purpose of fair value measurement disclosure).
Any further enquiries on this matter should be addressed to:
Mrs Samantha Cieslar
Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning
PO Box 15009
Brisbane QLD 4002