Local government planning schemes describe a council's plan for the future direction of a particular local government area and can span 20 years or more.
Planning schemes provide a detailed direction for the area focusing on community planning and aspirations, whilst ensuring the needs of the state and the regional community are incorporated. Planning schemes:
- identify the strategic outcomes for the area
- include measures that facilitate achieving the strategic outcomes
- coordinate and integrate community, state and regional needs and wants
- include a local government infrastructure plan (LGIP)
- include a structure plan for any master planned areas within the government council area.
Local planning integrates and balances economic, social and environmental needs and aspirations of the local community to provide an orderly approach to land use and change. They focus on land use, development, infrastructure and valuable features of the area.
The Sustainable Planning Act 2009 (SPA) replaces the Integrated Planning Act 1997. The SPA seeks to shift the focus from the planning process to delivering sustainable planning outcomes. It introduces some changes to the plan making process, such as:
- preparation of a strategic land-use plan
- increased emphasis on community engagement - to ensure all of the community's needs are reflected in the final plan
- greater flexibility - to cater for unexpected changes
- new streamlined ways for local governments to amend their planning scheme to reflect these changed circumstances.
New planning schemes will also be accessible electronically, enabling internet based access to information. This will help improve community access to planning schemes and related documents.
Planning schemes developed under the Integrated Planning Act 1997 remain valid under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009. Planning schemes must be updated to reflect the new Queensland Planning Provisions (QPP) when their review is due. The QPP provides a consistent format and structure for new local government planning schemes being prepared under SPA.
Use the boxes below in each column to filter information. Clear filters.
Note: plans marked with a star (*) are not available online - contact the local council to request a copy.