Skip links and keyboard navigation

The Local Government Act 2009 and the City of Brisbane Act 2010 set out processes to ensure that councillors maintain appropriate standards of conduct and that any councillor who engages in certain levels of unacceptable conduct is disciplined.

Making a complaint

Anyone – a member of the public, a fellow councillor, a council employee – can make a complaint about councillor conduct by writing to the chief executive officer of the local government to which the councillor belongs.

If they think that the behaviour is corrupt misconduct they can report it to the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC).

Information to include in your complaint

If you wish to make a complaint about another councillor, you should include as much relevant information as possible in your complaint so that it can be properly investigated.

Key details are:

  • your name and address or other contact information
  • the name of the councillor and the local government to which they belong
  • the reason you are complaining - what happened, where and when did it happen (dates and times)

Other important information that you should provide, if possible:

  • who else was involved
  • names of any witnesses
  • evidence to support your complaint
  • whether you have reported or complained about the conduct to any other agency or person in authority; if so, which agency and what was their response?
  • what you would like to see happen as a result of your complaint.

As part of the investigation of your complaint, you may be asked to provide additional information.

If your complaint is determined to be about misconduct and is referred to a regional conduct review panel of the Local Government Remuneration and Discipline Tribunal for a hearing, you will be required to appear before the panel or tribunal to confirm the complaint.

Anonymous complaints

Anonymous complaints are accepted but can be difficult to investigate, particularly if the complainant does not provide detailed information.

If you are concerned about being harassed or victimised because of your complaint, the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 provides legal protections for making public interest disclosures (PID). More information about public interest disclosures is available from the Queensland Ombudsman.

Your council's PID policy and processes will be available on their website.

Complaint outcome

You will be advised in writing of the outcome of your complaint.