Winners of the 2016 Get Ready Queensland – Resilient Australia Awards have been announced.
The 2016 winners in the state round of the awards are:
- Resilient Australia Community Award – Carlyle Gardens Retirement Village
- Carlyle Gardens Retirement Village disaster preparedness
- Resilient Australia Business Award – Suncorp Group
- Protecting the north
- Resilient Australia Government Award – Sunshine Coast Council
- The Sunshine Coast Council disaster hub
- Resilient Australia Photography Award – Karin Calvert
Resilient Australia Photography Award winner.
Photograph of Bob Jaecocke, SES volunteer by Karin Calvert.
Category winners will now vie for the national Resilient Australia Awards, to be announced in late 2016.
Judges also awarded commendations in two categories:
- Resilient Australia Community Award – Highly Commended
- Fitzroy Basin Association Incorporated – Ex-Tropical Cyclone Oswald On-farm Productivity and Riparian Restoration Program
- Green Cross Australia – Business Adaptation Network
- Resilient Australia Government Award – Highly Commended
- Bundaberg Regional Council – Burnett River Floodplain Action Plan
- Cairns Regional Council – What is a disaster resilient city?
The Resilient Australia Awards is a national program to recognise and promote initiatives that strengthen community disaster resilience across the nation – making our communities safer, stronger and better prepared to manage any emergency situation. By celebrating innovation and exemplary practice, the awards showcase work that is often unseen, motivating others to think about how they can be better prepared and more disaster resilient.
The national award categories are:
- Resilient Australia National Award
- Resilient Australia National School Award
- Resilient Australia National Photography Award.